Tuesday, December 11, 2012

75% Done!

Hey all! Just checking in from Damascus, VA! I have less than 500 miles left to walk!!
Apparently there's a big AT festival here every May called 'Trail Days' that sounds like a lot of fun. But that particular weekend of this coming May, I have something much more important to see to: my friend Ben's wedding! So no trail days for me.
Lately I've been travelling with two guys I met named Snowman (age: 25), and Riverdawg (22). This morning we woke up to snow flurries (!) and pushed to Damascus to get a package from my sister that I bounced from Atkins, VA, but it's not here yet :( Time to find a place to sleep... (Though all the hostels are closed for the off-season).
I could tent with the local homeless folks...
Which brings me to the latest debate in my mind: getting rid of the tent.
As I've mentioned before, the AT is very user-friendly. The prevalence of shelters along the trail has made me question (to the point of neurosis) my 3.5 lb tent.
At this point, I still don't know whether I'll finish this winter, spring, or at all. But every mile I carry that weight, I resent the wear and tear on my body. The flip side is that some of the best nights I've spent on the trail have been in that tent. But I can camp any time, right? And the lightweight pack beckons... like a siren in the night.
So whenever these packages show up (My friend Sharkey is sending me something as well) I'll be off again, sans tent. Past the Greyson Highlands, with their wild ponies, and on to the smokeys, with their snow, probably.
Wish me warmth :)

4 comments:

  1. Ben is finally getting married?? I know you've checked her out. I expect you'll find a good use for the tent. Safe (and warm) travels...
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fungi! I just talked to SillySOBO last week as he was finishing up and was asking him about who was left on the trail that he knew of. I asked about you and Sharky and he said he wasn't sure about you but Sharky got off the trail. I had to take a break to get my passport application straightened out to go to my friends bridal party in Nicaragua in February. I got off trail around the half way marker at the beginning of december and I'm planing on heading back out to finish the southern half after the wedding in early march. I've been working on my website since I've been home and trying to pour over the hours upon hours of footage from the GoPro. While I was searching the internet for the name of the Antlers camp site I found your blog. I'm glad to see your at least 75% done and I'm hoping you finished up! If not feel free to come back out and hike the remainder of the hike with me once I get down there. I'm trying to integrate my Spot GPS a little better in my site but you can find the link to my twitter and that will give you an idea of where I'm at if you want to come out and hike. www.patrickwittman.com Also congrats to Lyssandra for completing as much as she did. Thats a huge accomplishment for a first time hike!

    -The General (Stonewall)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man! Good to hear from you!
      I got down to the NC/TN border and bailed. Glad to hear you're gonna finish it up this spring! And congrats on the blog, it's really coming along! ...and NICARAGUA! Well, color me jealous! Since getting off the trail I've Moved to Austin, TX and am looking into grad school. Lysandra is still in NC and trying to heal her planters fasciitis ... slowly... slowly.
      Take care,
      Andrew

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete